Leaky gut syndrome sounds like something out of a horror movie but millions of people suffer from it and might not be aware. I talk to you often about the health of your digestive system because it represents more than 80% of your immune system!
Without your immune system functioning properly, your body is vulnerable to countless conditions and diseases. The key rests with your gut.
Most doctors consider your digestive system almost as an afterthought. It is only very recently that the medical community is catching on to what I’ve been saying for years. Leaky gut syndrome is more than “upset stomach!”
Chronic fatigue and pain, depression, heightened sensitivity to allergens, arthritis, and so much more have been linked to a condition that most doctors don’t even recognize exists!
What is Leaky Gut?
So much responsibility rests on your small intestine as the backbone of your immune system. Not only does it do the well-known job of absorbing the nutrients from your food, it also holds the front line against bacteria, parasites, and toxins that can lead to cellular damage, infection, and excess inflammation.
Poor lifestyle and eating habits result in tiny holes in your small intestine that allow waste particles to escape into your blood stream.
Your gut truly begins to leak into the rest of your body.
The immune response that occurs from the food, toxins, and bacteria invading your blood creates a pronounced immune response…more inflammation to fight matter that is normally flushed out of your body as waste material.
It’s a lose/lose situation! Inflammation causes leaky gut syndrome and then more inflammation is released to fight the results!
The worst part is that doctors then treat the symptoms rather than the cause because leaky gut stimulates or worsens what seem to be unrelated problems.
Is Your Gut Leaking?
There are ways to tell if you have a leaky gut and you must listen to your body if you have some or all of these symptoms. Ignoring your gut health is dangerous…even deadly!
A leaky gut makes your entire body ache and malfunction. The sooner you get the rampant inflammation under control and start healing your gut, the sooner you’re going to feel incredible from head to toe!
Common Symptoms of Leaky Gut Syndrome
- Consistent constipation, diarrhea, or other digestive distress/li>
- Bloating in the abdominal area
- Skin irritation including acne and psoriasis
- Persistent colds, flus, or sinus issues
- Unusual or sudden sensitivity to certain foods
- Thyroid malfunction such as Hashimoto’s disease or unexplained weight gain
- Chronic fatigue or lack of energy
- Unexplained pain in joints, head, nerves, or muscles
- Depression, anxiety, mood swings, or other behavioral disorders
There is also the possibility that you have symptoms that don’t fit in a known “category.” Something odd or unfamiliar to your personal health that remains “undiagnosed.”
You may to exhibit symptoms of vitamin deficiency (which can include weakness, dizziness, changes to skin tone, numbness or tingling in extremities, or irregular heartbeat) because your small intestine is malfunctioning in regards to nutrient absorption.
What Causes Leaky Gut Syndrome?
The short answer to the cause of leaky gut is inflammation. However, the proven causes of this debilitating condition are all within your control. That means you have the power to prevent or reverse a leaky gut and get back on the road to good health.
• Poor eating habits. I’ve been clear on this time and again, your diet matters! Filling your diet with sugars, unhealthy fats, and other junk breaks your body down a little at a time and leads to rampant inflammation. Kick those dirty foods filled with chemicals out of your life and give your body the nutrition it requires to keep you healthy for many more decades. Drink more water and eat foods high in fiber for maximum nutrient delivery.
• On-going stress. It’s only in the last few years that the medical community has caught on to the fact that chronic stress batters your body and produces inflammation your cells can’t handle. Whatever causes the stress in your life, figure out ways to get rid of it or it will kill you.
• Bad habits that raise toxicity. In today’s world, you already know the hazards of smoking to your health. Excess alcohol (more than two drinks a day for men or one drink a day for women) is a pro-inflammatory substance that damages your gut and liver. Other compounds you might not think of as “bad habits” include too many medications. Both prescription and over-the-counter drugs are foreign to your body and treated as toxins. Get healthy and get off all those drugs you’re taking to make it through your day.
• Imbalance in good gut flora. Your gut is your “second brain” and it determines your overall health in more ways than you can imagine. Maintaining adequate levels of beneficial gut bacteria is crucial to your continued well-being. Load up on prebiotics (the food source for healthy flora) like garlic, onions, apples, and bananas. Then give yourself plenty of probiotics such as Greek yogurt, dark chocolate, fermented cheese, and pickles. These foods will give your gut the tools it needs to repair and flourish.
Learn More about Protecting Yourself from Leaky Gut Syndrome
In my book “Fire in the Belly,” I tell you so much more about maintaining intestinal flora – where 80% of your immune system resides. You need to put out that fire, urgently and permanently. I’ll tell you how to do that in this life-saving book.
Here’s a sneak peek of what I share:
- How to rebuild a healthy intestinal flora colony after damage
- Key symptoms that point to chronic inflammation
- How to eliminate “fire foods”
- Why the symptoms are so diverse that most doctors miss the diagnosis
- How to detox from toxic metals without further damage to your immune system
- The varied effects of brain inflammation
- Genes and metabolic capabilities of trillions of microbes tell your body what to do
- The formation of “leaky” gut (it’s not what you thought)
- Plus…how to quench the fire in your gut once and for all.
You shouldn’t delay. All this “fire” in your body is dangerous and chronic inflammation will kill you if you simply ignore it.
The post Could You Have Leaky Gut Syndrome? appeared first on Dr. Keith Scott-Mumby.